Should I be concerned if my teenage daughter has begun drinking socially?

The fact that your teenage daughter has begun drinking socially is cause for concern. Underage drinking is illegal. Your daughter could be arrested, and you could be held legally responsible for her actions under the influence of alcohol. Also, drinking puts your daughter at risk for being sexually active and less likely to protect herself from sexually transmitted diseases. She is also at increased risk for becoming a victim of violence, motor vehicle crashes, attempted suicide, overdosing and date rape.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: Preventing a Relapse
Ask the Experts: Preventing a Relapse
Once you transitioned off of opioids, there is still work to be done. Watch Dr. Oz explain tips for avoiding a relapse of opioid use, along with steps...
Who is most likely to abuse prescription painkillers?
Understanding the groups at highest risk for overdose can help target interventions. Research shows ...
How can I help a loved one who has a problem with addiction?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
If you have a loved one, adult family member or friend who is struggling with addiction, the misuse ...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?