Should I be concerned if my teenage daughter has begun drinking socially?

The fact that your teenage daughter has begun drinking socially is cause for concern. Underage drinking is illegal. Your daughter could be arrested, and you could be held legally responsible for her actions under the influence of alcohol. Also, drinking puts your daughter at risk for being sexually active and less likely to protect herself from sexually transmitted diseases. She is also at increased risk for becoming a victim of violence, motor vehicle crashes, attempted suicide, overdosing and date rape.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Do smoking and drinking alcohol make me more likely to get sick?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Cigarette and cigar smokers tend to get more severe colds, flus and they get them more frequently. S...
What are the health risks of chewing tobacco?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Smokeless tobacco is known to cause cancers of the mouth, lip, tongue, and pancreas. Users also may ...
What do narcotics do to the body?
Narcotics act on the nervous and digestive systems in the body to control pain, relieve diarrhea and...
Can I recover from a substance abuse disorder without treatment?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
According to one study, 72% of Americans with substance use disorders eventually seek treatment ...