How can I prevent becoming addicted to my prescription drug?

The following steps can help you and your healthcare provider prevent an addiction to a prescription drug:

• Ask your healthcare provider to prescribe only quantities appropriate for your condition.
  • Talk about why the medication is being prescribed, how to use it correctly and what side effects you may experience.
  • Talk about addiction and how tolerance to a drug is developed.
  • Follow up with your healthcare provider when the medication is finished.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Marijuana Facts and Stats
Marijuana Facts and Stats
With clever names like Peace of Mind, Girl Scout Cookies, Train Wreck, and Tsunami it’s a good bet that the marketers of legal marijuana finished high...
Are drugs of abuse more likely to harm me as I get older?
Seth  JaffeSeth Jaffe
Unfortunately as we grow older our tolerance for drugs/alcohol grows weaker and more fragile. Any op...
What options do I have if I can't recover from my substance use disorder?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
If you are unable to recover from a substance use disorder (SUD), it's necessary that you educate yo...
The Second Stage of Heroin Withdrawal
The Second Stage of Heroin Withdrawal