How can harm reduction therapy help a person with an addiction?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Harm reduction therapy is a treatment strategy aimed at minimizing the harm associated with an object of addiction. This strategic approach helps people learn how to limit the degree to which they use their object of addiction, or limit the risks associated with their use, but they do not necessarily stop altogether.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: When Should I Talk to My Doctor About a Possible Opioid Addiction?
In this video, Dr. Oz discusses who is at risk for opioid addiction, how to recognize the symptoms of opioid addiction and why you need to work with y...
How can I help someone who is addicted to drugs?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To help someone who is addicted to drugs, first recognize that you can't fix the problem yourself. T...
How does drug use affect mental health?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
When people are active in addiction or in early recovery, they often experience a variety of negativ...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?