How are substance use disorders treated?

Studies have shown that detoxification alone is not a sufficient treatment for addiction, and that relapse following detoxification is very common. Therefore, what is advised? Treatment should start with detoxification to clear the person of the chemical substance and then go to abstinence-oriented psychotherapy counseling, potentially combined that with maintenance therapy to prevent a person’s cravings, withdrawals and tendency to relapse. That is the most effective treatment system. 

Substance use disorders are treated with behavioral therapy and in some cases medication. The use of medication is effective for many people, especially when used together with counseling and other behavioral therapies. In fact, combining these approaches can be critical to their success. Behavioral therapies include counseling, psychotherapy, support groups and family therapy. Medications offer help in suppressing withdrawal symptoms and drug craving and in blocking the effects of drugs. For long-term heroin use, pharmacotherapy with medications such as methadone is effective.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Marijuana Facts and Stats
Marijuana Facts and Stats
With clever names like Peace of Mind, Girl Scout Cookies, Train Wreck, and Tsunami it’s a good bet that the marketers of legal marijuana finished high...
Can I quit using drugs on willpower alone?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Learning to live without drugs is not about willpower; it's about finding the personal support and n...
Why might a doctor hesitate to prescribe opioids to seniors?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Doctors might hesitate to prescribe opioids to seniors for the following reasons:  When older peo...
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?