What do harmful use and drug dependence look like?

The term addiction usually refers to both psychological and physical dependence on a drug, including alcohol. Signs of dependence include withdrawal symptoms (such as depression, anxiety, irritability, cramps, nausea, sweating, and sleeping problems) when we stop using a substance. Another sign is being preoccupied with continuing to use the substance in spite of its negative effect. A third sign is tolerance - the need to use more and more to achieve the same effect.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Protecting Children from the Opioid Epidemic
The old saying “curiosity killed the cat” dates back to the middle of the 16th century. And the idea “cats have nine lives” may predate that. Some bel...
How Is Substance Abuse of Prescription Drugs Treated?
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?