Does an addict have to hit rock bottom to change?

Dr. Adi Jaffe, PhD
Addiction Medicine
The concept of an addict having to hit rock bottom to change is common, but it's hard to define what rock bottom really is for each person. Watch psychology and addiction specialist Adi Jaffe, PhD, explain why this concept isn't helpful for addicts. 
Brad Lamm
Addiction Medicine
Modern science has expanded our understanding of, and treatment protocols for the disease of addiction. It’s not simply a moral failing, or a bad spirit that makes your loved one do what they do. Our insight into brain chemistry and how cravings are triggered and fed have advanced our ability to treat addiction. But first we have to get someone to say yes to help. They do not have to hit a low point or a rock bottom.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Can Marijuana Be Used Responsibly?
Can Marijuana Be Used Responsibly?
Weed, ganja, pot—whatever you call marijuana, facts about its risks and benefits seem harder to come by than a sober fan at a Willie Nelson concert. B...
What can I do if I think I've become addicted to opioids?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If you think you've become addicted to opioids there are resources out there that can help with wean...
What percentage of women and girls use drugs?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Women in the U.S. largely use and abuse legal drugs, such as alcohol, tobacco, and prescription drug...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?