Can I recover from a substance abuse disorder without treatment?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
According to one study, 72% of Americans with substance use disorders eventually seek treatment for their problem (although they wait an average of 10 years to do so). For those who don't, the consequences might not be as dire as most of us would expect. Research shows that seeking treatment is not an essential part of recovery. For example, up to 30% of people with alcohol dependence learn to abstain or limit their drinking on their own, without a formal treatment program.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Preventing Drug Addiction Before It Starts
Substance misuse, or the improper use of a substance that may cause harm, is an important issue that needs to be addressed in the United States. In ge...
What can health providers do to help prevent prescription painkiller abuse?
Healthcare providers can follow guidelines for responsible prescribing, including screening and moni...
How common is substance abuse among veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
According to the Drug Policy Alliance, 19 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan War veterans receiving VA ...
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?