Can I get holes in my brain through drug use?

Drugs cannot cause holes in your brain. Physical trauma is the only way to actually put a hole in your brain. However, drugs can cause long-term and short-term changes in your brain, researchers say.

For instance, drug use can reduce the impact of neurotransmitters the chemical used to communicate signals in the brain - like dopamine. That is why addicts need an increasing amount of drugs to achieve the same feeling.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Preventing Drug Addiction Before It Starts
Substance misuse, or the improper use of a substance that may cause harm, is an important issue that needs to be addressed in the United States. In ge...
Are behavioral addictions less common than addictions to substances?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
In general, behavioral expressions of addiction, such as gambling, are less prevalent than addic...
How does drug abuse mirror schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Drug abuse can mimic schizophrenia in several ways. Some drugs, like marijuana and PCP, are know...
What Are Risk Factors for Addiction?
What Are Risk Factors for Addiction?