What are guidelines for safe and effective stretching?

Follow these guidelines to make sure your stretches are safe and effective:
  • Stretch when your muscles are already warm. If you haven't just exercised, warm up your muscles by walking for 5 minutes or so.
  • Don't rush through your stretching routine. It's an important part of your daily exercise.
  • Stretch gently, slowly, and smoothly. Stretch only to the point where you feel mild tension in the muscle you are stretching. Then hold that position for at least 15 seconds, gently extending the stretch as your muscle loosens. Don't bounce when you stretch -- this can damage your muscles.
  • Breathe normally during each stretch. Holding your breath tightens up your muscles and makes the stretch more difficult.
  • Stretch each major muscle group through a full range of motion. Repeat each stretch 2 to 3 times.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Warm Up Exercises Before, Cool Down Stretches After
If you're a guilt-ridden exerciser who never stretches before popping that vintage Richard Simmons tape into your player, go to the head of the class....
How long does directed stretching take?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Directed stretching can be done anywhere and anytime you have fifteen minutes to yourself. Morni...
What stretches should I do before exercising?
There is no specific set of stretches anyone should do before exercise. A good rule of thumb is to p...
How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?