What type of stretching should I do to warm-up before exercise?

Three types of stretching you can perform before exercise include self-myofascial release (foam rolling), static stretching, and dynamic stretching.  Self-myofascial release, often called foam-rolling (after the foam roller device used to perform it) is a form of stretching that focuses not only on the muscles but the fascia as well, which is the connective tissue that surrounds our muscles.  The gentle pressure that is applied to our muscles while we foam roll helps to eliminate tension and reduce the impact of "knots" or tender spots in the tissue.  Eliminating unwanted tension and tender spots within the muscles helps them to lengthen and shorten more appropriately, allowing greater ranges of motion to be achieved during exercises.  Static stretching, probably the most well-known and utilized form of stretching, involves passively and gently taking a muscle to the first point of tension and then holding it in that position for up to 30 seconds.  Static stretching works well at helping to restore length to tight muscles. If being performed as a pre-activity warm-up, make sure to use static stretching only on tight muscles because static stretching muscles that are not tight can cause a decrease in performance and/or increase injury risk.  Provided there are no muscle imbalances present, dynamic stretching is the most ideal way to stretch when warming up becauses it uses the force production of the  muscles and momentum during various activities to take the joints through their full, available range of motion, better preparing them for a resistance training routine.  So, if you have some muscles that are short and tight perform foam rolling and static stretching on them first, followed by some dynamic stretching immediately afterward.  If no muscle imbalances exist, perform foam rolling first followed by dynamic stretching immediately before your workout.   

Continue Learning about Stretching

How do I do the hamstring stretch exercise while standing?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The hamstring stretch exercise stretches tight hamstrings responsible for poor pelvic motion whi...
How should I stretch my hamstrings?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The hamstring stretch can be performed lying on the ground or may be as simple as raising your heel ...
Why do stretching exercises sometimes cause more pain?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
When doing stretching exercises, problems can arise if you don't pay attention to the kinetic chain ...
What should I avoid during directed stretching exercises?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Remember that sudden, jerky, or bouncing movements while doing directed stretching are potential...