What stretches would be best for a person with a sedentary job?

Stretching the calves, hamstrings, hip flexors (muscles on the front of your hips), lats (large back muscles), pectorals, and neck would be advisable. When one sits for extended periods of time certain muscles are kept in a shortened position, and this can make them tight and stiff. This happens at the ankle, knee, hip, back, chest, and neck. Using the hip joint as the example, sitting at a desk for an extended period of time (such as in front of a computer), shortens the muscles on the front of the hip (hip flexors) and lengthens the muscles on the back of the hip (gluteus maximums . . .aka you rear end). A comprehensive exercise program should stretch the tight hip flexors and also incorporate some strengthening exercises for the gluteals (such as body weight squats).

Continue Learning about Stretching

The Best Time to Stretch
The Best Time to Stretch
Most people agree that stretching is good for your muscles. But should you do it before or after exercise? When are you likely to reap the most benefi...
Do I need to stretch before exercising?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
There is varying advice (based on varying results in medical studies) on stretching. Some studies su...
Is partner stretching safe?
John BlievernichtJohn Blievernicht
In general, I don't recommend partner stretching.  Often times I see sports teams pair up their athl...
How Do I Stretch My Chest and Arm Muscles?