What stretches would be best for a person with a sedentary job?

Stretching the calves, hamstrings, hip flexors (muscles on the front of your hips), lats (large back muscles), pectorals, and neck would be advisable. When one sits for extended periods of time certain muscles are kept in a shortened position, and this can make them tight and stiff. This happens at the ankle, knee, hip, back, chest, and neck. Using the hip joint as the example, sitting at a desk for an extended period of time (such as in front of a computer), shortens the muscles on the front of the hip (hip flexors) and lengthens the muscles on the back of the hip (gluteus maximums . . .aka you rear end). A comprehensive exercise program should stretch the tight hip flexors and also incorporate some strengthening exercises for the gluteals (such as body weight squats).

Continue Learning about Stretching

How can I stretch my lats?
A great way to stretch the lats is to perform the ball lat stretch.  Use the technique described b...
Are there stretches I can perform at home, the office, or a in hotel room?
Absolutely! One the great things about stretching is that little to no additional equipment is requi...
I like exercising in the pool, can I perform my stretches in the pool?
Yes, absolutely! The water is a very safe environment to exercise or stretch in. Exercising and stre...
How can I stretch the backs of my heels?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
To stretch the back of your heel: Loop an exercise band around the leg of a heavy piece of furnitu...