If a stretch hurts my back, should I work through it or stop?

No, if a stretch hurts your back you should stop it immediately. Any movement or activity, including stretching that causes pain should be avoided or stopped immediately and a physician or other qualified professional should be consulted. A stretch should never cause more than mild discomfort and never should hurt or cause pain of any kind. Any motion, movement, or activity that causes a muscle or joint to hurt should be avoided, there is no such thing as “pushing through the pain” or “no pain, no gain." 
Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Listen to your back! Pain is a warning sign. If the stretch or any exercise hurts, stop immediately.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Stretching

Which Stretches Are Most Beneficial Before Going on a Walk?
Photo Credit: Rob, via Flickr Creative Commons Do you stretch before you walk? Do you know how to breathe properly when stretching? Did you know your...
My hips feel very tight when I work out, what can I do before I work out?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
Because many of us sit for long periods of time throughout the day, our hip flexors (the muscles tha...
How do I perform a back stretch with cross legs?
Lie flat on the floor with your back and shoulders flat on the matt and your legs extended straight ...
Dr. Oz Shares His Shoulder Stretch for the Shower