If a stretch hurts my back, should I work through it or stop?

No, if a stretch hurts your back you should stop it immediately. Any movement or activity, including stretching that causes pain should be avoided or stopped immediately and a physician or other qualified professional should be consulted. A stretch should never cause more than mild discomfort and never should hurt or cause pain of any kind. Any motion, movement, or activity that causes a muscle or joint to hurt should be avoided, there is no such thing as “pushing through the pain” or “no pain, no gain." 
Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Listen to your back! Pain is a warning sign. If the stretch or any exercise hurts, stop immediately.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Stretching

Which Stretches Are Most Beneficial Before Going on a Walk?
Photo Credit: Rob, via Flickr Creative Commons Do you stretch before you walk? Do you know how to breathe properly when stretching? Did you know your...
Is there a stretch I can do to loosen up my lower back?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
A lot of people try to stretch their lower back out when it is tight and it keeps coming back. That ...
Should I bother with stretching if my goal is to get big?
Melissa Hatton, NASM Elite TrainerMelissa Hatton, NASM Elite Trainer
Stretching is an important aspect of any well-rounded fitness program.  It returns the muscle to its...
The Exercise to Do for a Stress-Free Morning