How do I perform a standing chest stretch?

Stand against an object like a wall or large machine with your forearm placed vertically against the object with your elbow and shoulder bent at 90 degrees. Place your feet in a stagger stance with your back leg being on the same side as your chest that’s being stretched. Slowly begin to shift your weight forward until you start to feel a stretch in your chest area, hold this position for 30 seconds, then repeat on the other side.

A standing chest stretch is a great option - you can easily perform this one at home or at a gym.

Start
1. Stand with forearm in vertical position on stable object (like a corner of a wall or a cable machine in a gym); elbow and shoulder bent at 90-degree angle;
2. Place feet in stagger stance (split) position; back leg is same side as chest muscle being stretched.

Movement
3. Slowly shift weight forward until you feel the stretch in the front of your shoulder and chest; hold 20-30 seconds and repeat to the other side.

Never force the stretch! If you do it right, you'll feel it in the right place.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
Start Your Mornings With a Stretch
In October of 2008, a mare named Donnaguska entered her first race at Hawthorne Race Course in Cicero, IL. The announcer noted that the inexperienced ...
How can a hamstring injury be prevented?
David Hogarth David Hogarth
Minimizing risk is the name of the game to try to prevent any injury. Hamstrings cross both the hip ...
How should I stretch my hamstrings?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are several methods to stretch your hamstrings, for example: Lie on your back in a doorway w...
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?