When I am doing a calf stretch is it ok to hang off a step?

Hanging off a step seems like a good idea since it increases your range of motion during stretching but it’s actually counterproductive. When you step off the step your calf muscle instinctively contracts in preparation for landing, so what you’re doing is performing an eccentric movement by trying to lengthen the calf muscle while it’s contracted. The calf cannot relax and is not adequately stretched.

You can perform a calf stretch by hanging your heels off a step but it can put strain on your Achilles tendon. I start everyone off with a calf stretch by placing the foot in a dorsiflexed position, limiting the chances that the stretch will be performed with bad form. You can do this stretch using a curb outside, a step, a wall, a Prostretch®, or any elevated surface that allows you to put your foot in a dorsiflexed position.

After placing the foot to be stretched, walk your other foot forward. Stand with good posture and lean over without your butt sticking out. If the stretch is too strong, simply back off and reposition your foot with less elevation. If you need more of a stretch, walk the foot you are not stretching forward, passing the foot you are stretching. Hold your stretch for 30 seconds.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Which Stretches Are Most Beneficial Before Going on a Walk?
Photo Credit: Rob, via Flickr Creative Commons Do you stretch before you walk? Do you know how to breathe properly when stretching? Did you know your...
How do I perform a back stretch with cross legs?
Lie flat on the floor with your back and shoulders flat on the matt and your legs extended straight ...
What should I avoid during directed stretching exercises?
As with most types of stretching, avoid jerky or bouncy movements. Don’t stretch too far, or for too...
Dr. Oz Shares His Shoulder Stretch for the Shower