Which weight lifting exercises require a spotter?

Lifts that need one or more spotters are those that require the lifter to have weights over his head or face, or that require the bar on his back or the front of his shoulders or clavicles. These kinds of lifts are more difficult than those that require weights to be lifted to the side or the front.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strength Training Without Injury
Strength Training Without Injury
Since Arnold Schwarzenegger flaunted his bulging biceps and quads in the 1977 docudrama "Pumping Iron," the rule of thigh (if not thumb) has been that...
How should I do military presses?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Military presses are commonly done by men, but many women can benefit from doing it, too, but using ...
How often should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Just a little bit of strengthening will effect a positive change. Quality is more important than qua...
How much resistance should I use in my strength training program?
The amount of sets you should perform per workout for your resistance training exercises depends on ...