What resistance-training exercises can help me quit smoking?

Any exercise will help you quit smoking if you have the proper drive and passion to quit smoking. Think of it this way, smoking decreases your life expectancy while exercising helps increase. If that does not attract you to exercise, it should!

Movements in the form of squats, lunges, push-ups, and pull-ups along with various core exercises will get your heart pumping. Completing exercise 3-5 times per week will help you feel better about yourself and will increase your self-esteem. With results such as these, the urge to smoke will decrease and help you kick a nasty habit.

Continued best of luck!

Ready to put down that cigarette? Start by lifting weights or stretching resistance bands and you'll double your odds of kicking the habit for good.

You may have heard that adding exercise to a smart "kick butts" plan is a proven crave-crusher. Simply walking every day engages your brain's emotion centers, releasing mood-brightening compounds that dial down tobacco urges. Making muscle building part of your stop-smoking strategy can help you stay on track for months and keep you from gaining weight while you kick the habit. Big bonus!

Strength training likely helps in the same way other physical activity does: by reducing stress and anxiety when you really want to smoke, and by relieving the uncomfortable effects of nicotine withdrawal. All it takes is two muscle-building sessions a week that target every area of your body -- arms, legs and torso.

See your doctor for support, guidance and maybe a prescription. Enlist friends and family as cheerleaders. Find a quit buddy or two, and invite them to pump iron with you. Strength in numbers!

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Less Weight, More Reps Builds Muscle
Less Weight, More Reps Builds Muscle
Don't knock yourself out with super-heavy lifting. You can make your muscles bigger and stronger by pumping the little stuff.   You just have to lift...
Should I be lifting in the gym?
Yes. Runners should include a multi-joint strength training program in their weekly routine. Two...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves. At the end of a long shift, hitting the gym may sound like the last thing ...
How Can I Perform Strength Training Exercises Safely?