What are the benefits of performing each rep slowly when weight lifting?

When weight training, super-slow reps increase the mind-muscle connection and can give your workout a boost. Reduce weights by 25% to 30% of your maximum. Raise and lower the weight on each rep to a slow count of four. Try to feel every muscle fiber stretch and contract as much as possible. When you notice a good burn and moderate fatigue, do the next 2 to 3 reps with a two-beat pause at the extreme end of the stretch. Finish with 10 to 15 reps at standard speed.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

What are FITT guidelines for strength training?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The FITT acronym can remind you to slightly alter the Frequency, Intensity, Time (duration), and Typ...
What is a repetition in strength training?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
A single movement through a given exercise is called a repetition. For example, holding a dumbbell i...
How can strength training affect my genes?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
Both strength training and aerobic exercise turn on your inner fountain of youth! Strength train...
How much resistance should I use in my strength training program?
The amount of sets you should perform per workout for your resistance training exercises depends on ...