What are the benefits of performing each rep slowly when weight lifting?

When weight training, super-slow reps increase the mind-muscle connection and can give your workout a boost. Reduce weights by 25% to 30% of your maximum. Raise and lower the weight on each rep to a slow count of four. Try to feel every muscle fiber stretch and contract as much as possible. When you notice a good burn and moderate fatigue, do the next 2 to 3 reps with a two-beat pause at the extreme end of the stretch. Finish with 10 to 15 reps at standard speed.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Lindsey Vonn, the Olympic skier, challenged a flock of celebs at the 2013 Met Gala, saying they were half her weight but skinny fat, pointing out they...
How does strength training relate to sports performance?
Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerPhil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
Strength training relates to sports performance by incorporating and activating specific muscles in ...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
How Can I Perform Strength Training Exercises Safely?