What are the benefits of weightlifting?

David Buer
Fitness
There are several benefits of weight lifting and resistance training, both to your health and to your overall quality of life. Weightlifting can:
  • Improve your bone density
  • Build muscle
  • Stimulate your metabolism to burn excess fat
  • Improve your immune system’s functioning
  • Improve your nervous system’s functioning
  • Improve your cardiovascular health
  • Improve brain function
  • Improve balance and strength, especially as you age
  • Improve mobility, which reduces the risk of injury from everyday activities
  • Increases your personal and work productivity
  • Give your self-confidence a great boost
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
Athletic Training
There are many benefits to strength training that range from stronger bones, muscles, and joints to reduced risk of injury. Strength training stresses the muscles and the muscles adapt by rebuilding themselves stronger. This can reduce risk of injury in many ways. For example, an individual with a strong and stable base of support (legs) will be less likely to injury themselves during activity than one with a weaker base. If you have good stability and strength your body can adapt to situations more efficiently by providing more support if a fall occurs, thus reducing the chance of injury.

Weightlifting has tremendous amounts of benefit and below is a list of some of the endless possibilities:

• Increased lean muscle mass will lead to an increased metabolism which may aid in weight loss
  • Decrease of body fat
  • Increased strength
  • Increased endurance
  • Increased energy

Many more possibilities are present.  Let me know your goals and I would be glad to assist and answering further questions.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Is Weight Lifting a Natural Appetite Suppressant?
Sure, strength training and aerobic exercise can help you work off those extra calories. But it might also help you say no to them in the first place....
How can I increase my strength?
In order to increase your strength, select externally stabilized pieces of equipment or exercises an...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
The Right Way to Lift Weights
The Right Way to Lift Weights