How can I get strong muscles by doing strength training?

When we strength train our muscles are essentially being torn. This action is extremely beneficial and as your body repairs itself, the soreness you may feel, your muscles are becoming stronger. Strength training is great for everyone’s body and the more you do, with proper rest, and the stronger you will become.

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Weight lifters who want to grow bigger, stronger muscles often concentrate on the negative phase of their repetitions (when the muscle elongates). Doing this causes more of what is termed "muscle damage." It is actually good to cause muscle damage while lifting weights, because it is not really damage. Rather, it is the process of breaking down weaker muscle so you can build bigger, stronger muscle.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Is Weight Lifting a Natural Appetite Suppressant?
Sure, strength training and aerobic exercise can help you work off those extra calories. But it might also help you say no to them in the first place....
What are the benefits of adding chains to my workout?
Chains increase the amount of weight lifted while performing the concentric or “up” portion of a lif...
How can I do strength training and still be in shape to play sports?
Strength training and sports go hand in hand. When proper strength training is performed, sports per...
Will Strength Training Increase My Metabolism?