Who is at risk for gonorrhea?

Risk factors for gonorrhea include:
  • being younger than 25 years old
  • having a previous gonorrhea or other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
  • having new or multiple sexual partners
  • using condoms inconsistently
  • doing sex work
  • drug use
Blacks and men who have sex with men have a higher prevalence of infection than the general population in many communities and settings. Routine testing for gonorrhea also is recommended for pregnant females because infection can cause harm to both the mother and infant. However, don't assume your provider will automatically test you. To be on the safe side, you should ask specifically to be tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia and other STDs.

Continue Learning about STDs

Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?