How long should I avoid sex if I have chlamydia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Because chlamydia is a sexually transmitted disease, it's important to avoid sex until you've completed treatment for the infection. Treatment involves seeing a doctor and finishing any and all medications - antibiotics like azithromycin, doxycycline, or erythromycin - that are prescribed to you. Medications may be given in one dose, or as a week's worth of pills. Usually, the infection is cleared up within a week or two, and you can resume having safe sex at that point. Any partners who've had sexual contact with an infected person should also avoid sexual contact and should be treated for chlamydia so partners avoid re-infecting one another.

Continue Learning about STDs

Do vaginal contraceptives containing nonoxynol-9 help prevent STDs?
Over-the-counter vaginal contraceptives that contain the spermicide nonoxynol-9 include a warning la...
How is trichomoniasis diagnosed in women?
For women, a trichomoniasis diagnosis based on symptoms is inadequate because many of these symptoms...
Why should women be treated for gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea is a curable sexually transmitted disease (STD), and women with the disease should be trea...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?