How long should I avoid sex if I have chlamydia?

Because chlamydia is a sexually transmitted disease, it's important to avoid sex until you've completed treatment for the infection. Treatment involves seeing a doctor and finishing any and all medications - antibiotics like azithromycin, doxycycline, or erythromycin - that are prescribed to you. Medications may be given in one dose, or as a week's worth of pills. Usually, the infection is cleared up within a week or two, and you can resume having safe sex at that point. Any partners who've had sexual contact with an infected person should also avoid sexual contact and should be treated for chlamydia so partners avoid re-infecting one another.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
What is the latest research on gonorrhea?
In terms of gonorrhea research, scientists have determined the sequence of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae...
How can I have an STD if my STD test results are negative?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?