When should I go to a doctor for a sprain or strain?

Although most sprains and strains can be treated at home, some require professional medical care. If there is any possibility that a bone is broken, professional treatment is needed immediately. Signs that indicate an injury requires professional medical attention include:

• Rapid swelling or rapid bruising at the site of injury (within 15 minutes of the initial injury)
  • Inability to move the injured joint (or movement causes sharp pain)
  • Inability to put any weight on an injured limb
  • Injured area is twisted or bent out of shape
  • Popping sound is heard at the time of the injury
  • Grating sound is heard from the bones in the injured area
  • Loss of feeling in the injured area
  • Redness and heat at the site of the injury, accompanied by a fever
  • No improvement in one week
  • Repeated injury to the same area (more than once per year)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Why is my ankle black and blue?
Why is my ankle black and blue? If your ankle is black and blue, it is a sign that damage has occurr...
How is a sprain diagnosed?
How is a sprain diagnosed? Doctors may diagnose a sprain using a combination of methods. Learn more ...
How do I know if I've overextended my arm?
How do I know if I've overextended my arm? If it hurts to straighten your arm, then you may have ove...
How soon can my son resume playing basketball after a groin strain?
How soon can my son resume playing basketball after a groin strain? Pain is a good indication that a...