What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function normally. Sprains are graded by the resulting loss of joint support. These are treated according to the degree with elastic wrap, splint, cast or even surgery for a full tear! If your ankle or knee is sprained, you will likely be given crutches. Sprains can take weeks to heal. You will be measured and taught how to use your crutches. Pay attention -- you do not want another injury.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
How should my child be treated for a sprain or strain?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines t...
How is a sprain diagnosed?
To diagnose a sprain, doctors will usually begin with a physical exam and an evaluation of your symp...