What are some common causes of sprains and strains?

Sprains and strains are often the result of overexertion when playing a sport or exercising. They can also be the result of falling, improper lifting, sleeping in an awkward position or even reaching too far for something. Sprains or strains can occur anywhere on the body, but the most common sites are the ankles, knees, wrists, fingers for sprains and the hamstring, quadriceps or bicep for strains.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

When should I call my doctor if I have a sprain or strain?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a sprain or strain, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: You heard a popping sound w...
What is the first aid treatment for sprains and strains?
First aid treatment for sprains and strains consists of the RICE treatment: Resting the limb A...
Should I talk to a doctor about my sprain symptoms?
Sometimes, mild sprains may be treated without the help of a doctor. However, there are certain case...
What is a sprain?
A sprain is an injury that happens when a ligament is stretched or torn. Ligaments are the fibers th...