What can cause my arm below my elbow to feel numb when I throw a lot?

If your arm below your elbow feels numb when you throw a lot, you most likely have a sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament due to the force that is created during throwing. Taking an anti-inflammatory drug and modifying your activity (meaning not throwing for a while) is the best treatment. It's also a good idea to see a physician for an X-ray to check for further damage. If you ignore these instructions and continue to perform at the same level, surgical reconstruction may be required.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Why is my ankle black and blue?
CareNowCareNow
Your ankle is black and blue due to bleeding and inflammation beneath the skin, or bruising. Bruisin...
How is a Lisfranc injury diagnosed?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
Lisfranc injuries are sometimes mistaken for midfoot sprains, making the diagnostic process very imp...