Can sprains be prevented?

There are several things you can do to reduce your risk of a sprain. Before you start playing a sport, make sure you've conditioned your body and are in good shape before you start playing the sport or participating in a lot of physical activity. This may include strengthening your muscles through weight-lifting or other conditioning activities, since muscles help support your joints. It's also important to stay flexible so that your joints have a good range of motion. Each time before you begin physical activity, stretch and warm up properly. Make sure that you're wearing proper footwear for physical activity, and avoid high heels or shoes that don't fit properly.

Aaron Nelson
Sports Medicine
Yes, sprains can be prevented. The best way to help prevent a sprain is to make sure you train for balance and stability as well as overall strength. Implementing a comprehensive exercise program begins with correcting any muscular imbalances and followed by a stabilization program (which will help your body gain control during activity if you are ever presented with an unbalanced state), a strength program (which will strengthen both large and small muscle groups to help support the joints and ligaments) and a power program (which will help to protect the joints in an explosive situation). If you have previously injured a ligament or you don't feel comfortable with your level of strength and stability, you can add tape or bracing to help protect the joint and reduce the chance for injuring the ligaments (sprain). Remember that there is always a risk during physical activity and even a strong, healthy individual or a braced/taped individual can fall victim to spraining a ligament.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
How soon after a sprain can I start exercising again?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
It really depends on the severity of the sprain. I base it on your pain.   After a sprain, I like ...
How do I know if I need an x-ray of my injured ankle?
CareNowCareNow
Typically an x-ray would be ordered based on your doctor’s findings during the examination of your i...