Can I sprain my ankle while wearing an ankle brace?

The added support of the ankle brace makes it more difficult to sprain your ankle, but it is still possible. However, the sprain won't be as severe, and if you do experience a sprain, your recovery time will be much shorter than if you weren't wearing a brace. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
What can I do at home for finger and thumb sprains?
If the injury is to the middle joint or the joint nearest your hand, "buddy tape" the finger to ...
When should I go to a doctor for a sprain or strain?
Although most sprains and strains can be treated at home, some require professional medical care. If...
What are the symptoms of sprains and strains?
The first symptom of a sprain or a strain is a sharp pain that occurs at the site of the injury....