How can I strengthen my knees for snow skiing?

To improve knee strength and prevent injury during snow skiing, it is important to improve proprioception, or the feed back you get from the knee joint. You can do this by performing a superset of a strength exercise immediately followed by a stabilization exercise that both involve the knee joint. This type of training requires the use of the following acute variables: 2-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions using a medium tempo for the strength exercise and a slow tempo for the stabilization exercise; rest for 30 seconds between supersets. Example superset exercises to strengthen the knees are: 2 sets of 10 repetitions of bar squats supersetted with 2 sets of 10 repetitions of single-leg squats. To perform single-leg squats, start by standing on one foot and keeping the other foot lifted and floating next to the foot on the ground. Activate the core by drawing-in the stomach to the spine and perform a squat keeping the back flat, the foot straight, and the knee traveling over the tip of the shoe. After completing the first superset, you can do a second that consists of 2 sets of 10 repetitions of seated leg curls supersetted with 2 sets of 10 repetitions single-leg Romanian deadlifts where you stand on one leg with the other foot lifted and floating next to the foot on the ground. Engage the core by drawing-in the stomach to the spine, keep the back flat, and bend at the waist. Keep the foot straight and the knee in line with the point of the shoe, with a slight bend in the knee. Stop once your back is parallel to ground and then slowly return to the starting position. To make the strength exercises more difficult, you can increase the amount of weight you use as resistance. To make the stabilization exercises more difficult, you can stand on less stable surfaces such as a half foam roll, airex pad, or dyna disc. By doing these exercise you can improve knee joint stability and increase the muscle, tendon, and ligament strength of the knee joint.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
Should I get an electrocardiogram done if I play high-intensity sports?
Unless your doctor detects an irregularity in your heart beat, or you have a strong family history o...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?