Why should I persevere in life?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Perseverance is one of the greatest attributes one can possess or acquire. Perseverance means to continue a course of action in spite of difficult opposition. Perseverance is grounded in determination and resolute purpose. Being honest and optimistic enough to overcome obstacles and having hope amid suffering requires grit, stamina, endurance, and steadfast and tenacious attention focused on hanging in, holding fast, pressing on, seeing through, toughing it out. In short, perseverance is courage.

It took Thomas Edison thousands of attempts before he discovered the light bulb. Most people experience failure as the end. Great minds like Edison's experience failure as motivation. His potent comment on failure was "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

The Buddhists have a saying about how to best follow the path to enlightenment: "Fall down forty times, get up forty-one." Seriously, I could just tell you to continue reading this statement over each day of your life. Repeat it each time a difficult task or situation arises. This is the unvarnished truth behind perseverance. It's simple, but it's not easy.

Some of us are born with more ability to persevere than others. Others have more stamina because they have been using their "perseverance muscles." Perseverance is like anything else; the more you exercise and practice, the better you are at it. We know now, with emerging science, that there are practices that help us learn how to become stronger in the area of perseverance. Perseverance is a discipline. When applied to every situation, perseverance is the foundation of confidence and the scaffolding for creativity.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How do I fight evil?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
It is important to remember that anything you can do to expand your awareness will automatically cou...
What is the sign of true spirituality?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
When I started searching for greater meaning in my life in the 1970s, the reigning assumption among ...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?