What is God's essence?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

First off, we believe that God's essence is love and wisdom. He is the source of all that is good and true. Evil is the result of mankind's choice of turning away from that love and indulging in selfish, materialistic desires instead. Humans must be able to choose evil to remain in spiritual freedom. If we are compelled to choose good, we have no choice at all.

God loves saints and sinners alike. On any given day, we are both. As fallible humans, we can never earn God's love through adherence to any moral code. By our very nature, we are imperfect and prone to making mistakes. But God is absolute mercy, always seeking to draw us to himself. Often it is through our times of failure that he is best able to effect union with us. Those places where our ego cracks are a way for him to enter our lives once we reject our selfish loves and turn to him.

God condemns no one. It's our own withdrawal that makes us feel judged. Just as we can hide ourselves in a cave to escape the sun's rays, we can emotionally block the perception of God's love flowing into our lives. But our choosing the dark doesn't mean that the sun's not shining. And shutting our hearts to divine presence is our issue, not God's. We sometimes feel that God's punishing us when we sin, but it's actually the sin itself that causes us to suffer. When we decide to reject a behavior because it's harmful to ourselves and to others, and choose instead a life of compassion, we see that God has been there all along.

William Stillman
Health Education

God's essence is that which can be found in all of creation---the magnificence of the oceans to the canyons and deserts to the extraordinary and infinite array of terrible and glorious living things. God's essence is what makes every facet of every creation a unique and original work of art. If you've ever had your breath taken away for a dazzling scenic view, you understand the sensation of God's essence. It is humbling. 

God's essence can also be experienced emotionally, from the heart. It manifests in the very best of what we, as human beings, have to offer. Because we are of God, God gets to experience every nuance and every human variation of all emotions; but it is the exchange of those emotions which best reflects God's intention in creating us that matters most: compassion, sensitivity, sacrifice, and unconditional love. 

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
What is the tenth principle of the rules of creation?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Universal: 10. Many invisible levels are enveloped in the physical world. Personal: 10. You are...
What is my domain?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
My soul is my self. It knows me and hears me. This affirmation is about the soul's ability to lis...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?