What is the difference between spirituality and religion?

Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Religion is a set of texts, practices and beliefs about the transcendent shared by a community, and involves a relationship with God. Spirituality on the other hand is about a person's relationship with the transcendent questions that confront one as a human being. This may or may not involve relationships with God.
Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
There is a clear difference between spirituality and religion. The general public many times confuses the two terms; they are very different and have diverse implications. Spirituality is your connection with your soul and God, Creator, Source, Higher Power, Nature, or whatever name you call the Holy. Religion is "a personal or institutionalized system grounded in belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe."
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

How can I develop my spirituality?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
There is a difference in patients with a positive spiritual orientation and those without one. Studi...
Why should I pray to show my love?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Let others see you as you truly are. At many points on the spiritual path you will feel exalted and ...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?