How do I avoid chasing an impossible goal?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
A true seeker does not chase the impossible goals. If you can avoid the pitfalls of spiritual materialism, you will be much less tempted to chase after an impossible goal. The chase began because people came to believe that God, disapproving of what he sees in us, expects us to adopt a certain ideal. It seems impossible to imagine a God, however loving, who doesn't get disappointed, angry, vengeful, or disgusted with us when we fall short. The most spiritual figures in history were not totally good, however, but totally human. They accepted and forgave; they lacked judgment. I think the highest forgiveness is to accept that creation is thoroughly tangled, with every possible quality given some outlet for expression. People need to accept once and for all that there is only one life and each of us is free to shape it through the choices we make. Seeking can't get anyone out of the tangle because everything is tangled up. The only thing that will ever be pure and pristine is your own awareness, once you sort it out.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
What happens if I decide to lead a consciously spiritual life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
If you decide to lead a consciously spiritual life, a change occurs. The principles of the operating...
Does religion create faith or fear?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Religion today tends to be based on fear - fear of the unknown, fear of "the other," and fear of who...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?