How are personal relationships part of spiritual growth?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

When I look back on what has helped pull me through many of the tight squeezes, sharp drops, and hard choices in my life's labyrinth, I realize that the "what" was often a "who"-- my sister, my mother, a colleague, a teacher, a friend, or my daughters, who, with an insightful sentence or an unexpected smile, put everything in perspective.

Prayer and meditation have always been important to me. But there were times when I needed a soul-to-soul connection with someone I loved. I needed not only to hold, but to be held. My sister Agapi has always been there for me, and I have nestled in her unconditional love many a time. The highest function of relationships is to remind us of where we are going, of our spiritual purpose.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
Is there order in the universe?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Rhythm and harmony, order and symmetry, even color and flavor are terms regularly used by astonished...
How do I know God is not contained by one religious belief?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
If God is bigger, better, and more powerful than I can possibly conceive of, I choose to envision th...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?