How can I heal universal human suffering?

Richard Walsh
Social Work
If you are asking this question you are obviously a loving, compassionate, and caring individual. The world is a better place with you in it! The answer to heal universal suffering is to heal one person or situation at a time. People with your desire to assist need to learn the most important principal: Take care of yourself, so that you can take care of others. This taking care of yourself varies from one individual to another. It is not a selfish action, but a realistic fact. If you "burn out" how can you expect to be of help to another? For many people taking care of yourself includes strengthening your connection with God. What do you need to do to strengthen this connection and have God as your partner as you heal human suffering? Sometimes the greatest gift is serving and for you givers you probably know the greatest joy in life comes from the act of giving. You givers, how about letting someone have that feeling of joy by you letting them give to you sometimes!
Lisa Oz
Health Education

It is much easier to keep the blinders on and stay focused on your personal situation than to open yourself to the truth of universal human suffering. However, that does not really benefit you or anyone else. As Fritjof Capra says, "Instead of wondering whether or not we can save the planet, it is best to ignore such trivialities and simply get to work." So, with the full knowledge that no matter what action you choose, the world will continue to be a place of pain and inequity, what can you do? Well, the first thing is to recognize that while you cannot fix everything, you can fix something. Make an honest assessment of your strengths and passions to see where your abilities are best suited. Start by asking yourself three questions: "What am I good at? What do I care deeply about? And what do I enjoy?" When you understand these things about yourself, you will begin to see your path. You have a gift. A unique ability to serve in a way that no one else can. It is your privilege and your obligation to use it.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How does religion help in shaping me to become nice and perfect?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Religion encourages us to have only pure thoughts and do only good deeds. Need I remind you of the T...
How can being true to myself affect how I feel about life and death?
David L. Kaelin, DMDDavid L. Kaelin, DMD
When we try to live up to the expectations of others -- our family of origin, our family of choi...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?