What is the first stage of suffering? What are some remedies?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
In the first aftermath of a tragedy, victims experience numbness and shock. I was traveling during those first moments after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, when shock was just giving way to tears, one of the very first stages of grief. All anyone could do was to try to feel safe again on the most basic level.

I was in the same state that others were in. All I could do was reflect on my own experiences with grief. "Hold each other," I offered. "Don't be afraid to ask for contact. Reach out and tell your loved ones that you do love them; don't let it be taken for granted. Feel your fear. Be with it and allow it to be released naturally. Pray. Grieve with others if you can, alone if you must." These are simple, basic remedies for dealing with shock.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
What is spiritual power?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Spiritual power comes with an authentic appreciation for one's gifts and talents, and an astute and ...
Are all relationships spiritual?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
Often, we hear people qualify themselves as being "really spiritual," or being a "very spiritual per...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?