What is the first stage of suffering? What are some remedies?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
In the first aftermath of a tragedy, victims experience numbness and shock. I was traveling during those first moments after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, when shock was just giving way to tears, one of the very first stages of grief. All anyone could do was to try to feel safe again on the most basic level.

I was in the same state that others were in. All I could do was reflect on my own experiences with grief. "Hold each other," I offered. "Don't be afraid to ask for contact. Reach out and tell your loved ones that you do love them; don't let it be taken for granted. Feel your fear. Be with it and allow it to be released naturally. Pray. Grieve with others if you can, alone if you must." These are simple, basic remedies for dealing with shock.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

What should I be seeking?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
For me, seeking is another word for chasing after something. The materialists have the easier chase ...
Why are rituals important to spirituality?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Rituals are important to spirituality because the repetition of enacting each ritual provides a foca...
Why is it impossible not to lead a spiritual life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
At a deep level, it's impossible not to lead a spiritual life. You and I are as deeply engaged in ma...
Is there such a thing as an essential human nature?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
The hunger for meaning and purpose is nothing less than the human homing instinct -- the Fourth Inst...