Can we truly comprehend God?

Lyle K. Weiss
Health Education
For believers, God is a mystery. But, mystery is not understood as a completely unknowable reality which we fail to pursue or as a puzzle to solve like a murder mystery. To refer to God as a mystery is to claim that God is knowable but never entirely so. The Roman Catholic theologian Karl Rahner once defined God as the horizon of our being. It is because of the horizon that we can encounter and see other things but it will always recede before us as we approach it. We can know something of God because God has chosen to reveal God’s self to us in history, in religious traditions, in other people, in events, and even in ourselves. But, as finite, limited, human beings we will never be able to totally or completely comprehend the God who will always recede before us as we approach.
Lisa Oz
Health Education

Truth is absolute, but as soon as it manifests itself in the natural realm, it passes through the filter of human capacity and is therefore qualified. To suppose for a minute that our eight-pound brains can know the complete truth about the nature of God is ridiculous. The infinite can never be fully comprehended by the finite. As I see it, if religion is about creating a meaningful context in which we can experience God, then every individual has his own way of doing so.

Take for example the paths up a mountain, some are long and windy, some straight and steep (deep suffering can be a pretty direct route to enlightenment), but if you keep heading up, you'll eventually get to the top. I'm not a relativist. I don't think all paths are equal. Metaphorically, some lead directly to mineshafts, while they post signs reading "Summit this way." My feeling is that if your religion makes you less loving and less compassionate, it's not serving you spiritually. True religion brings you closer to God and to your fellow men.

William Stillman
Health Education

We can comprehend God as much as our human form will allow for it; but we may not be equipped as human beings to fully experience or understand God as God is in totality—it might blow our collective “circuits”!  

Comprehending God in earthly terms can occur through experiences that reflect the essence of God in each of us: demonstrations of that which is right and true and good and kind. Specific examples may range from acts of altruism and selfless charity in times of catastrophic loss, to the smallest moments in which love and gratitude are expressed between us and God’s earthly creations (be it another person, a flower, a spectacular sunset, or an animal).

I believe that we will be poised to comprehend God on other levels when we transition from the physical and return to our true form as souls in God’s grace.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
What is the fifth principle of the rules of creation?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Universal: 5. Physical laws operate efficiently, with the least effort. Personal: 5. At any giv...
What is the fourth secret of life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The fourth secret is about meeting your real self. Words can say a great deal about the real self, b...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?