What is shadow?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Let's focus on the shadow as the area where consciousness has become distorted to the point that evil choices might be made.

I want to speak in general of the hidden places where we all repress things we feel guilty about or ashamed of. I will call this place the shadow, and I believe there are certain true things to be said about it:

Six things true of shadow:
  • The shadow is personal and universal at the same time.
  • Anything can be stored there.
  • Whatever is stored in darkness becomes distorted.
  • The intensity of shadow energies is a way of getting noticed.
  • Bringing consciousness to any energy defuses it.
  • The shadow itself is not evil and therefore not your enemy.

Continue Learning about Spiritual Therapies

How may religious involvement benefit your health?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Harold G. Koenig, M.D., psychiatrist and author of The Healing Power of Faith, believes that "re...
How can religion or spirituality help me live an honest life?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
We know what truth and honesty are, but we cannot always practice them on our own. Sometimes we have...
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
What Do Health Gurus Eat?
What Do Health Gurus Eat?