What are vertebrae?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The vertebrae are the bones that comprise the spine. They are divided into three sections:
  • cervical: the neck region. There are seven cervical vertebrae. They form an inward, lordotic curve.
  • thoracic: the upper trunk region where the ribs attach. There are twelve thoracic vertebrae. They form an outward, kyphotic curve.
  • lumbar: the lower spine region composed of five vertebrae. They form an inward, lordotic curve.
Fixing You: Back Pain During Pregnancy: Self-treatment for sciatica, back pain, SI Joint or pelvic pain, and advice for abdominal strengthening post partum.

Changes happen during pregnancy that not only lead to back pain during pregnancy but also afterward. Many of these changes affect the shape of the spine and tilt of the pelvis. Both of these...

Continue Learning about Spine

How can I tell if I have a spinal extension problem?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test for spinal extension problems (a movement dysfunction wherein the spine is unable to fla...
What are the benefits of spine surgery with computer-assisted navigation?
Dr. Don Y. Park, MDDr. Don Y. Park, MD
When using computer-assisted navigation during spine surgery, surgeons are able to reduce the risk o...
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?