What should I expect during a spinal tap?

During a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), two body positions allow the widest space in the spinal column for easier needle entry. You will be asked to lie on your side in a fetal position (knees pulled up to the abdomen) or you may be asked to sit and rest your arms and head on a pillow and table in front of you. Being very still during this procedure is very important.

The skin will be cleansed with an antimicrobial solution. The physician will inject a local anesthetic agent to numb the area. Then a longer needle is inserted into a spinal column space. A piece of equipment called a manometer is attached to the needle to record spinal fluid pressure. A small amount of spinal fluid is placed into test tubes for lab testing. After the needle is withdrawn, a bandage is applied to the area.

Continue Learning about Spinal Tap

Will I feel pain during a lumbar puncture?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
A lumbar puncture (LP) -- also called a spinal tap -- is scary but not at all dangerous, and most ti...
What should I expect after a spinal tap?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
After a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), you will be instructed to lie flat on your back, stomach, or s...
What can I expect during a lumbar puncture?
Usually during a lumbar puncture (LP) -- also called a spinal tap -- the person will lay on their si...
Why would a spinal tap procedure be used on a newborn?
Dianne ParkerDianne Parker
If a mother has premature rupture of membranes greater than 18 hours prior to delivery or has a temp...