What are the symptoms of spinal cord tumors?

Noncancerous spinal cord tumors that start in the spinal tissue can grow very slowly, and symptoms may progress slowly as a tumor causes pressure on the spinal cord. Cancerous tumors may grow quickly. The most common symptom is back pain, which often is worse at night or may worsen over time. Other symptoms include numbness or muscle weakness, incontinence, and trouble walking. You may even experience paralysis.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

How do other illnesses affect spinal cord tumors?
How spinal cord tumors are treated and managed depends on whether there is cancer in other parts of ...
Is there a cure for spinal cord tumors?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Certain spinal cord tumors, such as ones that originate from the lining of the spinal cord (meningio...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have a spinal cord tumor?
General back pain does not usually mean you have a spinal cord tumor, but you may want to see your d...
Will my spinal cord tumor recur?
Spinal cord tumors can come back (recur) after they have been treated. They can come back in the spi...