Are spinal cord tumors different in children and adults?

Spinal cord tumors are different in children than in adults, primarily in how they should be treated. Chemotherapy can work better in children, while it is not generally effective for adults. However, chemotherapy can cause lasting side effects in children. Children should be treated by health care providers who are specially trained in childhood cancers, since treatment will not be exactly the same as for an adult.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

What is the rate of incidence of spinal cord tumors?
Spinal cord tumors are rather rare. Fewer than 10 in 100,000 people are diagnosed with brain or spin...
Will my spinal cord tumor recur?
Spinal cord tumors can come back (recur) after they have been treated. They can come back in the spi...
What factors affect my chances of recovery from spinal cord tumors?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The prognosis of spinal cord tumors depends on a few factors. The type and location of the tumor can...
How quickly do spinal cord tumors grow?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The growth of spinal cord tumors varies significantly depending on the type of tumor. Benign tumors ...