How quickly do spinal cord tumors grow?

Luke Macyszyn, MD
Neurosurgery
The growth of spinal cord tumors varies significantly depending on the type of tumor. Benign tumors tend to grow very slowly (years), while others, such as gliomas, can grow very quickly (weeks to months).

Quite often, primary spinal cord tumors grow very slowly and can even take years to cause symptoms. Secondary tumors that have spread from other parts of the body can grow very quickly and cause symptoms. Cancerous spinal cord tumors tend to be more aggressive, while noncancerous tumors grow more slowly.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

How do other illnesses affect spinal cord tumors?
How spinal cord tumors are treated and managed depends on whether there is cancer in other parts of ...
What are spinal tumors?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Spinal tumors can originate from another part of the body (metastasis), may form from the lining of ...
Will my spinal cord tumor recur?
Spinal cord tumors can come back (recur) after they have been treated. They can come back in the spi...
What factors affect my chances of recovery from spinal cord tumors?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The prognosis of spinal cord tumors depends on a few factors. The type and location of the tumor can...