What is open spina bifida?

Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft spine. It is a defect caused by the failure of the spinal column to fully close over the spinal cord. In open spina bifida, not only is there no bone covering the spinal cord, but the cord itself is exposed at the surface as a swollen area. This exposure gives the condition its medical name, myelomeningocele, derived from Greek words meaning "spine" and "swelling."

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

What research is being done on spina bifida?
Currently, a great deal of research is being conducted to learn more about spina bifida, what causes...
Is spina bifida serious?
 The seriousness of spina bifida depends on the severity of the spine defect and related nerve damag...
Does spina bifida ever go unnoticed?
In most cases, spina bifida will be noticed and diagnosed by a doctor before or shortly after birth....
If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...