Can spina bifida cause congenital hydrocephalus?

Spina bifida, one of the most common serious birth defects in the United States, has been linked to congenital hydrocephalus. Spina bifida is a neural tube defect, which is a type of fetal development problem that affects the brain, the spinal cord, and the tissue that surrounds the spinal cord. In people with spina bifida, the spinal column does not form correctly while they are a fetus. This malformation can cause a host of problems. For example, in some cases of spina bifida, a compression of the spinal cord can block the flow of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which is a fluid that is necessary for the normal functioning of the brain and spinal cord. This condition is known as Chiari II malformation. When the CSF is not flowing correctly, it can accumulate in the brain and cause hydrocephalus. It has been estimated that 70 to 90 percent of children with spina bifida also have hydrocephalus.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...
How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?
Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifi...
How can my child with spina bifida who uses a wheelchair be more active?
Regular physical activity is important for all children, but especially for those with conditions th...
When should I start encouraging independence in my child with spina bifida?
Developing independence can be especially challenging for children with spina bifida. Parents should...