How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?

Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifida involves the whole family and can be challenging at times. However, finding resources, knowing what to expect and planning for the future can help. Watch The Spina Bifida Experience and hear parents, children and adults talk about living full lives with the condition.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

Does spina bifida ever go unnoticed?
In most cases, spina bifida will be noticed and diagnosed by a doctor before or shortly after birth....
How many people are affected by spina bifida?
Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect affecting babies in the United States. Out of the...
When should I start encouraging independence in my child with spina bifida?
Developing independence can be especially challenging for children with spina bifida. Parents should...
What is spina bifida?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
There are three types of congenital abnormalities that often are called spina bifida: True spina...