How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?

Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifida involves the whole family and can be challenging at times. However, finding resources, knowing what to expect and planning for the future can help. Watch The Spina Bifida Experience and hear parents, children and adults talk about living full lives with the condition.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

What is spina bifida?
Spina bifida, meaning "cleft spine," is a birth defect that occurs when the neural tube does not clo...
When should I start encouraging independence in my child with spina bifida?
Developing independence can be especially challenging for children with spina bifida. Parents should...
If my first child has spina bifida, how do I prevent it in my next baby?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
In order to better your chances of preventing spina bifida in a second child, make sure to take your...
Does spina bifida ever go unnoticed?
In most cases, spina bifida will be noticed and diagnosed by a doctor before or shortly after birth....