Are there alternative treatments for open spina bifida?

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) is conducting ongoing research into the genetic properties of all types of spina bifida in order to better understand risk factors and possible gene therapy. The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) is meanwhile engaged in a study of the effectiveness and risks of fetal surgery. In this risky procedure, surgeons open the mother's uterus and surgically fix the spinal cord. These studies may lead to alternative treatments of open spina bifida that could treat the defect effectively before birth.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

If my first child has spina bifida, how do I prevent it in my next baby?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
In order to better your chances of preventing spina bifida in a second child, make sure to take your...
Is spina bifida serious?
 The seriousness of spina bifida depends on the severity of the spine defect and related nerve damag...
What are the different types of spina bifida?
There are four different types of spina bifida: occulta, closed neural tube defects, meningocele, an...
How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...