Is soy effective in curing hot flashes?

Even though the jury is still out on soy, some women may find modest hot flash relief, says Margery Gass, MD, executive director of the North American Menopause Society. One study found that women who took a daily 160 mg dose of soy isoflavones -- the active soy ingredient that mimics estrogen -- reported feeling better during menopause, emotionally, physically, and sexually. However, studies have been inconclusive, says Dr. Gass, because "everybody's formulating it differently and using different doses of soy isoflavones, so it's tough to compare across trials." If you don't see an improvement within 12 weeks of adding soy to your diet, it's not worth continuing, she advises. Though soy isoflavones are considered safe for most women, those with a personal history of breast cancer may want to avoid it. Always talk with your doctor before taking any new supplement.

Continue Learning about Soy

Can soy supplements help treat menopausal symptoms?
The impact of soy supplements on menopausal symptoms is still a matter of debate. Although there...
How do I know if a food contains soy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Labels on foods must indicate if the food has soy in it. However, you still need to know how to read...
Is soy safe?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
There is no convincing evidence of adverse health effects in humans from consuming soy. Traditio...
Can Eating Soy Raise My Risk of Breast Cancer?