What medical conditions require reduced sodium intake?

You need to eat less salt (reduce your sodium intake) if you have medical conditions such as heart failure and high blood pressure. That’s because excess salt the body causes you to hold in, or retain, too much water. This makes those conditions worse.  
Though we all need to consume sodium every day to help our bodies function properly, there are certain medical conditions, such as kidney disease, high blood pressure, and heart failure, that necessitate a decreased intake of this nutrient. Sodium can act like a sponge in our bodies to hold extra fluid in the blood and body tissues. This extra fluid creates more work for the heart. For persons taking diuretics, restricting sodium intake helps this medication work better.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I reduce my sodium intake?
Too much sodium can result in high blood pressure. Start by reducing the amount of salt you use as a...
What foods contain sodium or salt?
Yeisel Barquin, MDYeisel Barquin, MD
Many of the everyday products we buy in stores and restaurants contain salt (sodium).  The bigges...
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers
What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?