Why is too much salt a health risk?

Mary Mullen
People who eat a diet high in sodium (salt) are at increased risk for high blood pressure, heart disease. and stroke. Early stages of health problems related to blood pressure begin during childhood, so both children and adults should cut back on sodium, working gradually toward a goal of 1,500 mg of sodium (or less) per day. That’s about two-thirds of a teaspoon of table salt.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Sodium

What is the unhealthy ingredient in minestrone soup?
Salt is the secret saboteur in minestrone soup. One bowlful can contain as much as 600 grams of sodi...
How can I reduce my sodium intake?
The easiest way to reduce your sodium intake is to decrease consumption of processed and prepackaged...
What types of foods are highest in sodium?
Processed and convenience foods are usually very high in sodium. Things like frozen entrees, sou...
How can I reduce my sodium intake at lunch?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Avoid lunchmeat; hard, processed cheeses; and snacks like salty potato chips. Instead, choose option...