How does having friends affect my health?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Nothing has greater impact on our well-being than love and relationships. The University of Michigan published a landmark paper that demonstrated people without strong social support were two to four times more likely to die than those with substantial social networks.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...
While spending happy times with friends and loved ones is a pleasure and may feel like an indulgence, it's actually a RealAge (physiologic age) must. Although for years scientists discredited the effect of social factors on biological health, study after study has confirmed the importance of social connections. Studies have shown repeatedly that the effect of interpersonal relationships on stress responses is not only psychological but also physiologic. These ties can actually affect the number of immune cells you have, which can in turn affect your resistance to disease and cancer. Social connections make your immune system younger and reduce stress.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Friendship

Are friendships that start like a wildfire good for my health?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Sometimes you meet someone and you get on like a house on fire. You’re on the phone with each other ...
What are benefits of having friends at work?
When you socialize with coworkers about last night's episode of The Daily Show, it isn't just quick ...
10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties
10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties
Find out which cities have residents with the strongest social networks.
The Health Benefits of Sharing Your Secrets